Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Word bullets

After spending hours drafting a word document, the last thing you want to do is format it. Countless hours of my life have been wasted trying to get bullet points right, and that is what I address in this post. 

How do I add a bulleted list to my document?

Put the cursor on a blank line and hit the bulleted list icon on the toolbar

Click Me!

How do I make sub-bullets?

Hit enter from a bulleted line to move the cursor to the next line and give you a new bullet. Hit 'tab' to change that bullet to a sub-bullet.

How do I go back to main bullets from sub-bullets?

Hit enter from a sub-bulleted line to move the cursor to the next line and give you a new bullet. Then hold 'shift' + 'tab' in order to change the sub-bullet into a main bullet point.
Note: The cursor has to be directly after the sub-bullet in order for this to work. 

A more detailed explanation follows.
I'm ready to to go back to the first bullet level, but when I hit enter I get a sub-bullet. A reasonable person might expect to put the cursor before the bullet point and hit backspace to set it back a level, but oddly enough you can't. If you try hitting backspace in front of the bullet that just deletes it. You bang on your keyboard until it finally works, usually by starting a new bulleted list, but then two minutes later you find yourself in the same situation and frustrated to boot. 

Fortunately Microsoft has provided an answer, albeit one that I wish was documented better.

The easy answer (mentioned earlier), is to hit enter to get a new sub-bullet, then hold down Shift + Tab. The bullet magically pops out a layer and your problem is solved.


This works on all versions of Word that I'm familiar with, and on some clones that I've used as well. 

Alternativey, if you have Word 2007 you can click the little dropdown box on the bullet icon, go to the bottom and hover over "Change List Level" and select the appropriate level.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is extremely helpful! Thanks!